The Fair Workplaces, Better Jobs Act, 2017 received royal assent on November 27, 2017. Thus, new requirements will come into force according to the following timeline:
- Changes to the Employment Standards Act will generally commence on January 1, 2018. However:
- changes with respect to critical illness leave and the extension of parental leave will take effect December 3, 2017;**
- changes with respect to pay equity in relation to “employment status” will take effect on April 1, 2018; and
- changes regarding work scheduling standards will take effect on January 1, 2019.
- Changes to the Labour Relations Act will take effect on January 1, 2018.
- Changes to the Occupational Health and Safety Act are now in force!
** However, the extended parental leave option does not apply if the child in respect of whom the employee takes parental leave was born or came into the employee’s custody, care and control before December 3, 2017.