The Toronto Order
The Toronto class order made pursuant to Section 22 (5.0.1) of the Health Protection and Promotion Act (“Toronto Order“), which can be found here, requires owners, operators or occupiers of a business to notify Toronto Public Health via the online COVID-19 Workplace Reporting Tool as soon as they become aware of 5 or more COVID infections in the workplace within a 14-calendar-day period. The Toronto Order grants discretion to the City to order a full or partial closure of the workplace, or shift/work area mass dismissal, when there has been 5 or more confirmed or probable COVID cases within a 14-calendar-day period. Once closed, the owners, operators and/or occupiers of a workplace cannot attend the workplace unless necessary to:
- comply with any applicable laws;
- allow for inspections, maintenance and repairs to be carried out;
- allow for security services to be provided;
- to deal with critical matters relating to the closure of the workplace if they cannot be done remotely; and
- access materials, goods, or supplies that may be necessary for the business or organization to continue to operate remotely.